Tuesday, January 27, 2009

ABOUT THAT HONEYCRISP APPLE .....

Did you see that bunny on DR this morning? ONLY a HoneyCrisp would do.

Well ... in as much as yes, the HoneyCrisp WAS developed in Minnesota (where Cinnamon lives) BUT Washington is, in fact, the Apple Capital of the World, this begged for further investigation here at The House of Rabbits.

To top it off, a certain young granddaughter living in Wenatchee, the Heart of the Apple Capital, was part of the 2008 Apple Festival Junior Royalty, and she happens to be quite partial to Galas, as are we.

Now, typically the HoneyCrisp is a VERY pricey apple here in our parts, even though they are grown here. Designer brand I guess! But today I happened to be in a store where they were $1.48/lb so I bought one to test the DR hypothesis.

First let me say that I have looked, now, at many HoneyCrisp apples in person and in pictures and I must report that the apple on DR could have fooled me into thinking it was, in fact, a HoneyCrisp.

Anyway, I sliced off a bit of my apple and tasted it .. nothing special for me. Then I put it in the condo of Lucky and Winston - results below. Lucky liked it and chewed and chewed, Winston tried to push it down the hole.


Later tonight we will give each bun a slice and watch the results, for further investigation. Stay tuned for more on this top breaking story.

11 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Tyler and Sydney like ANY KIND of APPLE, give it here they say.

Anonymous said...

I love the 2nd paragraph! Thanks Bop!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Well, I'm partial to Honeycrisps, but I can't speak for Cadbury.

Crafty Green Poet said...

It's an apple variety i don't know... I look forward to reading the results of the further experimentation

YowlYY said...

I too have never heard of this type of apple - but I would like to add that Miss Eve is not going to eat just ANY apple, unlike Neville, who seems to be a food bunny.
I wonder what your other bunnies will do with this new apple?

Glenna said...

I saw that DR and wondered about the honeycrisp. Out here we don't get them, I think, although next time I'm in a fancy grocery emporium, I'll have to check. I'll have to try the buns on apples--that'll be fun. I like the Pink Ladies, Gala and old standby, MacIntosh.

Erin said...

What a fun experiment! Well, fun for the buns at least:)

Anonymous said...

Very curious about your experiment. Neither my bunny nor I are very interested in honeycrips, but we have online foodie friends who are insane over them.

Anonymous said...

Ah, what could be sweeter than a Honeycrisp!

Anonymous said...

Honeycrisp or no-if it isn't dried, my bun is having no parts of it.

ilex said...

Honey Crisp apples were the most amazing apple I'd ever tasted... 3 years ago. Something happened to them, though. This year, they are a big fat MEH. Give me (and my buns) a Cameo anytime.