Sunday, July 20, 2008

MUDDY, BUT MADE IT !!!!

Proceed with caution ..............
OK .. bear with me here .. This is the course. The guys in front are on the last 100 yards, coming into the finish line. It is a sloppy mess of heavy muck. Along the back are the guys still on the cross-over 50 yards, having already run out from shore 100 yards. 250 yards total. The farther back you are in the pack, the harder it is because it is soooo churned up. It feels like trying to run up stairs with weights on your feet! We started at exactly extreme low tide, 12:23pm PDT!
Here I am finishing. I stuck up my arms to wave to all my fans and let them know I was still alive! My strategy was two fold .. (there were almost 200 runners) .. first to go along the outer edge of the course, where others had not run, thus firmer footing, even though farther to go that way. Second, to start slow and ease off. My plan worked well, I passed many "stuck runners" along the back stretch 50 yards. But, the final few yards narrowed down into the finish chute and that was a horrid mass of churned up muck from the 100 or so ahead of me. It was a struggle to the shoreline.Here I am with a couple of fellow sloggers. As you can see, I did not get nearly as ratty as they, and others, did. Behind us are people lined up for the wash down hoses. We all have our shoes duct-taped on - even so, many lost theirs! I am actually wearing white sox! Unfortunately, we have not yet really cleared the line where the timers are, so our "official" times are horrid .. but finishing was the key.
Only the top three women and men finishers got medals, but all finishers got these dandy gold-painted oyster shells! The fastest runner was just under a minute. I took about 2 minutes, seemed like a long time! There were nearly 2,000 people at the Bivalve Bash .. it was an all day party and the weather was perfect.
Some previous commenter asked for a Bivalve! Here is granddaughter Lani with a Geoduck she bought. It's alive, weighs three pounds, and is destined for clam strips. 2,000 people there and guess how many Geoducks they sold ... right ... 1. Now where would she get the genes for doing such eccentric things??? I'm not explaining Geoducks - Google it ....


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! Wow that's quite a run! Good for you doing it. Muddy but sounds quite like a fun way to stay healthy! I would have never thought about duct taping your shoes on but sure makes sense!

Crafty Green Poet said...

looks like it was great fun!

Anonymous said...

Looks like good, dirty fun!!

I've seen geoducks here but I've never tasted one although many friends have recommended it. They're rather expensive here, and on top of that, I don't really like the way they look, lol! ;)

Deb Cushman said...

We were waving and cheering from here when you crossed the finish line -- did you see and hear us??? We were the sensible ones with the clean feet!

Congratulations on a great strategy for a successful fun! Bet the Bunns were proud!

Glenna said...

Yay! It looks like a blast. The buns here are hopping up and down.

I knew what a geoduck was but have never eaten one. I'm with Furrybutts on the way they look.

Erin said...

You look way too clean! But it looks like you had fun:)

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Looks like good clean fun. You are a cunning strategist to be sure! Lani is destined for great things, I predict....

Fez and the Gang said...

Yay! Way to go muddy feet!

RoadBunner said...

Looks like fun! You are not nearly as dirty as I would have imagined! You're brave to wear a white shirt. Where in the world did you find that bunny version of "The Scream?"

d. moll, l.ac. said...

RG I've left you an award at my blog.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

So I guess one wears an old pair of shoes to one of these things? Looks like good, dirty fun!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous mucky mess!

Friend of the Animals said...

Your crazy for doing that run, you could have lost a shoe, or foot or something!

Where are your usual running pals (SS and doc)??

Gross on the geoduck....

ilex said...

Hah. I thought it was spelled gooeyduck. They certainly look gooey.

Gooey-ducktape? Quack.